Quality is not an act, it is a habit, you want to prove it!? We…
This is a unique opportunity to help build one of Europe hottest FinTech companies (FinTech50, Everline Disruptor of the Year). We are looking for a Junior PHP and Linux developer to join CommuterClub and work with our CTO to build and grow the business in the UK and Europe.
We are a fun, entrepreneurial and passionate business that is looking to disrupt how people borrow money and commute by making the savings season tickets more affordable. Our focus is technology first; we hate manual processes and will automate as much as possible building a robust back-end to support our simple and intuitive front end system. We are backed by industry heavy weights like Peter Jackson (CEO Travelex), Will Becker (founder Totally Money) Anthony Gutman (Co-Head Goldman IBD), Kevin Reynolds (co-founder Brigepoint).
As a junior Developer you will report directly to our CTO and will take on real ownership to grow our code base as well as improving our infrastructure stack as we develop a world class IT platform. While you will be based remotely, you will use Telegram, Skype, Assembla and phone to stay involved with the team and form part of the daily workflow.
You will take responsibility for your own work streams and will have significant autonomy to develop a solution to challenging technical problems. You will pro-actively engage with the Engineering or Product team and will love working collaboratively.
Expect a challenging but supportive environment where you will learn every day and cover a broad range of projects every week. As you develop you will have the opportunity to mentor junior team members and provide support to the other members of the dev team.
What we are looking for
We are looking for an independent, curious, industrious and diligent Developer to take our platform forward who at a minimum has experience with the following:
• Minimum of one to two years’ experience with PHP (OOP)
• You love working with LAMP / WAMP (Linux, PHP5, MySQL, Apache) and are comfortable writing complex MySQL queries
• Familiarity with server management (AWS, Linux server configuration and networking concepts)
• Experience of PHP micro-framework as well as templating engine (Slim and Twig)
• Experience in transaction and eCommerce systems
• Experience in consuming API (AWS, Stripe, Sendgrid, Twillio and more) as well as supporting our own API
• Experience with SVN environment
• Exposure to Selenium IDE or similar
• Preferably university-level degree in Computer Science, Electronic Engineering or Mathematics.
• Willing to working remotely with occasional trips to London.
• Strong communication skills with working knowledge of English
Above all we want real drive and motivation to solve complex problems and create great code that will be rapidly tested and deployed.
About our stack
We have to stay nimble while delivering mission-critical code. To do so we constantly prioritise keeping both our
stack and our codebase lean.
We build simple, reliable systems on top of technologies we understand and trust. We’re primarily built in PHP
using MVC principles, and we rely on MySQL and Apache to keep things running.
Our server is cloud hosted using AWS and we operate a robust infrastructure structure environment to ensure
minimal down time and high reliability for our transactional system.
The team is lean and we deploy many times a day, supported by a test suite we trust and a culture of code review.
Our moto is fail fast, fail often and we are always incrementally improving our code and platform.
A unique experience to be part of a truly exciting, dynamic FinTech start-up in the UK. Things will move fast, and
every day will be different but you will be a key part of building a fast growing and innovative organisation.
• Form a core part of Engineering Team working with world class technology
• Competitive package with real ownership in the success of the company
• Room for you to do things your way and try new approaches